The TC-497 Overland Train MkII was the final Overland Train produced. In early 1958, the United States Army requested a quote from R.G. LeTourneau, Inc. to research and develop a large Overland Train. The project was divided into 4 phases. At the end of Phase I, the concept art below showed the Army what LeTourneau had in mind. Other drawings included in the Phase I book were engineering diagrams, power car, and cargo car diagrams, and over 200 pages of typed text describing the project. The Overland Train concept began in 1955, with a variety of conceptual tests. It was not until 1958, that it got real!
- Bringing back Trailer Mounted Nuclear Micro-reactors
- Phase I Overland MkII: Early Drawing
- Getting Traction in the Snow with the Overland Trains
- The Overland Train MkII (TC-497) with Power Car
- Scanning: Overland MkII Summary Report December 28, 1959
- Summary Report: Preliminary Design, Study, and Investigations on the Overland Train Project