The first iteration of Pierced Steel Planking (PSP), or Marston Mats began in 1941. Approximately 35 miles north of Fort Bragg, NC, USA, Gen. H. H. “Hap” Arnold, Chief of the Army Air Forces visited Marston, NC to witness a 3,000 foot long by 150 foot wide Marston Strip used as a runway. The steel planks were easy to assemble and did a nice job of dispersing the mud. They could be emplaced easily and quickly, durable enough to support heavy bombers… or a Sno-Train.
Seen below on Marston Mats, the Sno-Train was on display after coming back from Greenland for testing.